|Location||Nellis AFB, Nevada|
|Date Posted||November 16, 2022|
Spread your wings at the Nellis Air Force Base
The Community – Nellis AFB - Las Vegas, NV
Everyone at Nellis Air Force Base plays a vital role in molding its aerial forces into the "toughest kid on the block.” The work is hard, the hours are sometimes long, and temperatures soar during the summer months. In spite of that, Nellis AFB and the Las Vegas Valley are wonderful places to live and work. Las Vegas has some of the best entertainment and recreation in the world including fishing, water sports, canyons, and mountains, which are only a short drive away. And nothing can beat the pride of being a member of the busiest air combat base in the world.
One of the nicest things about Las Vegas is that it's not all only for the weekend warrior visitors. Sin city offers residents endless opportunities for entertainment, nightlife, and outdoor recreation. Plus, the state's low taxes contribute to the area's affordable living; in fact, there is no Nevada state income tax because of all the money tourists bring into the state, making the Entertainment Capital of the World one of the best big cities to live in! Plus, residents also pay 7% less for healthcare compared to the national average, and 21% less for electricity. Putting the financial benefits aside, taking a look at the elephant in the room regarding weather needs not put additional concerns on the table. Yes, Las Vegas is hot, but there are killer ways to beat the heat. With 294 days of sunshine, Las Vegas weather is often warm and dry, which allows residents year-round outdoor recreation! Explore the 1.5 million-acre Lake Mead National Recreation Area with swimming, boating, scuba diving, horseback riding, and more! Visit the Mystic Falls Park at night to watch the laser light show complete with a waterfall. Relax while surrounded by lush vegetation, or enjoy activities like mountain biking, playing volleyball at Floyd Lamb Park, one of the best parks in Las Vegas. Or spend time in the Botanical Garden, Butterfly Habitat, Playground and Splash Pad, and more at Springs Preserve. These of course are just the tip of the iceberg when talking about recreational things to do in Las Vegas that are outside. If you're more into looking at the indoor activities, feel free to click the link below to see what events, concerts, and hot spots of the town that might be more your cup of tea!
Learn more about the Nellis AFB from their website here.
Explore more of Las Vegas here.
About the Facility – Nellis Air Force Base
Nellis Air Force Base, a part of the United States Air Force's Air Combat Command, is located approximately eight miles northeast of Las Vegas, Nevada. The base itself covers more than 14,000 acres, while the total land area occupied by Nellis, and its restricted ranges is about 5,000 square miles. An additional 7,700 miles of airspace north and east of the restricted ranges are also available for military flight operations. The Nellis work force of about 13,400 military, civilians and contractors makes it one of the largest single employers in Southern Nevada. The total military population numbers more than 40,000, including family members and military retirees in the area.
The Mike O'Callaghan Military Medical Center is comprised of around 1,400 personnel who are dedicated to providing preventive, emergency, and acute care services for approximately 22,000 active-duty personnel and their dependents. Health care services are also provided directly or coordinated for more than 40,000 retirees, their dependents, and other eligible beneficiaries on a space-available basis.
Facility Address: 4700 Las Vegas Blvd N, Nellis AFB, NV 89191
RESPONSIBILITIES (listed are included but not limited to)
- Knowledge of professional care theories, principles, practices, disease process and procedures to perform nursing assignments of moderate difficulty and experience to acutely ill pediatric, adult and geriatric patients as appropriate. Utilizes the nursing process as a basis for professional practice.
- Knowledge of a variety of pharmacological agents used in patient treatment, the desired effects, side effects, and complications of their use as well as the accurate administration of the pharmacologic agent, including dosage calculations as required.
- Knowledge of the administrative requirements for proper documentation of patient conditions including disease progress, acknowledgement of teaching, and follow up care.
- Knowledge of a wide range of medical disorders and conditions as appropriate, as seen in critically ill patients.
- Knowledge of preventative health schedules, procedures, processes, and education methods.
- Must synthesize date from a variety of sources and make appropriate clinical decisions to interpret lethal rhythms independent of a physician.
- Knowledge of computer operations and proficiency in the use of basic word processing, data entry and automated medical records.
- Direct and supervise care provided by other healthcare professionals.
- Coordinates patient care through a continuum and facilitates the achievement of optimal outcomes in relation to care, quality, and cost effectiveness.
- Ensure compliance with standards of care and practice in accordance with all established policies, procedures, and guidelines used.
- Provide health promotions, counseling and education.
- Administer medications, wound care, and other personalized interventions.
- Direct and supervise care provided by other healthcare professionals. Including performing charge nurse duties as needed.
- Recognize adverse signed and symptoms and quickly react in emergency situations.
- Perform nursing services identified.
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with a diverse group of people for the purpose of informing the healthcare team of plans/actions, for teaching/education to benefit the patient/family and organization. Effectively uses appropriate communication format in addressing professional issues.
- Prescribes and communicates treatment plans and patient teaching in accordance with established protocols. Collects and assesses significant patient history information and performs all necessary patient teaching.
- Excellent written communication skills to perform accurate documentation, both written and electronic, of all activity, including telephone contacts, in accordance with requirements.
- Skill in setting up, operating and monitoring specialized medical equipment such as invasive monitoring devices, EKG units, oxygen analyzers, nebulizers, and other unit specific equipment.
- Performs/assists with procedures such as bladder catheterizations, administration of oxygen, EKGs phlebotomy, and other unit specific procedures, in accordance with established protocols.
- Ensures for proper documentation of procedures and treatments.
- Participates in the orientation and training of newly assigned personnel, as appropriate.
- Must have three years ICU/Critical Care experience.
- Critical care experience in the following areas required: hemodynamic monitoring, continuous renal replacement therapy, Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump, vasoactive medication titration, ventilation management.
- Must have BLS. ACLS and PALS certification
- BSN Degree minimum. ASN may be considered if candidate has many more years of ICU experience.
- Shift hours are 645-1845 and 1845-645. Work schedule will start on Day Shift. Every 3-4 months it will rotate to Nights and back again. Must be willing to work rotating schedule.
KurzSolutions is committed to improving health outcomes by providing well-managed companies with the top healthcare talent in the market.