Medical Laboratory Technician – MLT
|Date Posted||September 5, 2018|
Medical Laboratory Technician
|Internal Job ID||18-00120|
Medical Laboratory Technician - MLT
Welcome to the Happiest City…
The Community - Montgomery, AL
Montgomery, the capital of Alabama, is the county seat of Montgomery County and is known as the Capital of Dreams. Named for Richard Montgomery, it is located on the Alabama River, in the Gulf Coastal Plain. It is the second largest city in Alabama, after Birmingham, and the 103rd largest in the US as of the 2010 Census. Montgomery has won several national awards including being voted Best Historic City by USA Today, being named an All-America City in 2014 by the National Civic League, and being named the happiest city in Alabama. Montgomery has also been recognized nationally for its successful and ongoing downtown revitalization and new urbanism projects with Montgomery having been one of the first cities in the nation to implement Smart Code Zoning. In addition to housing many Alabama government agencies, public and private universities, high-tech manufacturing and cultural attractions, Montgomery has a large military presence due to Maxwell Air Force Base.
Maxwell Air Force Base
Located in Montgomery, Maxwell's history dates back to the Wright Brothers' flying school of 1910. Today, Maxwell is home to more than 12,500 active-duty, reserve, civilian, and contractor personnel providing a significant economic and cultural impact on the Montgomery area.
Requirements (include but are not limited)
- Perform analyses of biologic and related materials in hospital, environmental, occupational, epidemiological, toxicological, or research and development laboratories; and teach medical laboratory sciences.
- Perform donor registration in the LIS and donor care for allogeneic, autologous, and therapeutic collections. Perform physical exam and evaluate medical history to determine donor eligibility.
- Understand all immunohematologic procedures required for appropriate donor ABO/Rh (blood grouping and Rh factor) testing. Comprehend all donor screening test results to maintain quality of products and their effectiveness. Enter results accurately in LIS.
- Perform component collection, processing, manufacturing, and labeling to include the preparation of red blood cells, fresh frozen plasma, recovered plasma and apheresis platelets, and plasma.
- Store blood and manufactured products under appropriate conditions and quarantine blood components, if applicable.
- Process donor units for transport to 81 MDG Blood Donor Center, as appropriate. Prepare, receive, and distribute blood product shipments to required destinations.
- Consult with the OIC or Technical Supervisor to establish daily requirements for blood and components.
- Troubleshoot equipment and schedule preventative maintenance through the Medical Equipment Repair Center (MERC) as needed or recommended by the equipment manufacturer and national regulating agencies. Perform appropriate equipment maintenance.
- Adhere to inventory management with unit supply custodian to ensure adequate stock levels of consumable supplies are available within the blood donor center to minimize waste and ensure uninterrupted services.
- Assist in the follow-up of positive donor notifications IAW regulatory requirements.
- Ensure appropriate weekly blood component quota compliance is met and shipped within the requisite time frame.
- Coordinate with supervisor in planning work flow and duty schedules for assigned section(s).
- Maintain records as required by regulatory agencies. Prepare/review reports.
- Consult with other medical staff members to verify requirements for effective patient care.
- Perform and interpret clinical laboratory tests in any one or a combination of areas as described in the following sections of the laboratory: hematology, chemistry, urinalysis, serology, shipping, microbiology, and blood bank. Calculate test results and notice pertinent details of specimens under microscopic study.
- Obtain lab specimens and blood donor units directly from patients/donors by venipuncture/phlebotomy.
- Prepare slides for microscopic analysis, as necessary.
- Record test results and file reports in the CHCS and LIS.
- Perform records review, labeling, and lot release of all manufacturing records. Review documentation for completion and compliance with accreditation and licensure requirements; verify suitability of products released based upon review.
- Communicate with the section supervisor, pathologist, or general laboratory supervisor regarding unusual or abnormal test results
- Must have graduated from a medical laboratory technician training program accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS).
- Must have and maintain certification as a Medical Laboratory Technician by the ASCP, NCA, AMT, or state licensure as a Medical Laboratory Technician required.
- Must have and maintain a current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification as approved by the American Heart Association (AHA).
KurzSolutions is committed to improving health outcomes by providing well-managed companies with the top healthcare talent in the market.