Staff Physician – Primary Care
|Location||Newark, New Jersey|
|Date Posted||September 5, 2017|
|Internal Job ID||17-00086|
MD/DO - Staff Physician - Primary Care
The Urban Heart of New Jersey
The Community - Newark, New Jersey
Newark. It’s a happening place. The Garden State’s largest metropolis, blossoms just 8 short miles from Manhattan. Air, water, roadway, railway, bike path, footbridge and subway, Newark offers every manner of transportation imaginable, providing access that’s unbelievable. Be entertained at one of the country’s largest and most glamorous performing arts venues, the New Jersey Performing Arts Center (NJPAC). Take on the largest premium outlet mall in the state, The Outlet Collection, Jersey Gardens, welcoming over 18 million visitors a year. Explore the masters at the Newark Museum, featuring renowned American and Tibetan collections, sculpture gardens, the Ballantine Victorian mansion and even a planetarium. Cheer on the NHL New Jersey Devils or NCAA Seton Hall Men’s Basketball as they battle for glory at Prudential Center, or rock the house with legendary artists like Jay Z, Taylor Swift, and Pink. Join the stampede to Red Bull Arena for a Major League Soccer showdown. Play with fire at GlassRoots Studio and discover the art of glass blowing, or take a bite of the Ironbound, a district renowned for its Portuguese, Spanish and Brazilian delicacies.
The Site Physician is responsible for providing medical services to inmates of the Department of Corrections consistent with community standards of care, and providing overall supervision for clinical services for the site. Serves as the liaison for clinical matters with medical providers outside the system and provides “on-call” services.
Responsibilities (duties include but are not limited to)
- Reports to the assigned facility at the designated time to examine referred patients.
- Assures the implementation and on-going supervision of the on-site chronic clinics.
- Consults with medical providers in the community to resolve issues in the delivering services to inmates.
- Assumes the role of primary care physician with the coordination of on and off site care needs.
- Supervises the clinical services clinical services provided the professional and paraprofessional staff.
- As directed, visits patients housed in the medial unit and records encounters in patient progress notes using SOAP format.
- Ensures that all verbal or telephone orders are countersigned within seventy-two (72) hours.
- When appropriate, utilizes available in-house resource personnel for treatment or resolution of identified problems before utilizing off-site referral.
- Provides emergency treatment on-site and responds appropriately in urgent or emergency situations.
- Maintains proper certification for cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Assumes responsibility and accountability for his/her individual judgment and actions.
- Utilizes standard precautions when providing any invasive procedures for diagnostic or routine studies or handling specimens.
- Keeps patient information confidential and respects the patient’s right to privacy, in accordance with accepted confidentiality practices for incarcerated individuals.
- Abides by the security regulations of the facility.
- Notifies the Administrator of changes in scheduled coverage and assists in arrangement for coverage of medical services if unavailable for an extended period of time.
- Serves a Chairperson of the Medical Audit Committee.
- Annually reviews and approves clinical protocols, clinical policies, procedures and medical disaster plan.
- Assists with the development of medical audit criteria.
- Oversees the on-site quality assurance program, including infection control and review & action on inmate complaints.
- Serves as discussion leader for selected –service training classes.
- Represents the health care program in discussion with local civic groups or visiting officials.
- Monitors referrals to outside health care facilities for appropriateness, quality and continuity of care.
- Monitors non-formulary medication utilization at the assigned facility.
- Is available for the resolution of administrative/medical issues.
- Assists in the screening, interviewing and evaluating the credentials of health care providers.
- Ensures that all physician documentation is dates, timed, legible, problem oriented and signed.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Must possess a degree in medicine (M.D./D.O.) from an accredited medical school.
- Must be licensed to perform medicine and must be CDS certified.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
KurzSolutions is committed to improving health outcomes by providing well-managed companies with the top healthcare talent in the market.