|at ( view profile)|
|Date Posted||December 5, 2017|
Medical Laboratory Technician
|Internal Job ID||17-00109|
Medical Laboratory Technician
An Old Soul and Youthful Enthusiasm Coastal Town
The Community - Hampton, VA
A city with an old soul and youthful enthusiasm. A Coastal Virginia vacation destination with fascinating sights to see and interesting things to do. A convention city with flexible facilities and a confident, can-do attitude. Situated in the middle of the Hampton Roads region and the heart of the Mid-Atlantic, Hampton welcomes many vacationers and meeting attendees alike with charming hospitality, multi-faceted attractions and activities, and an atmosphere of discovery that you'll find pleasantly surprising.
Langley Air Force Base
Langley Air Force Base is the home of the United States Air Force's 633d Air Base Wing, 1st Fighter Wing and the 480th Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance Wing. It also hosts the Global Cyberspace Integration Center field operating agency, the 192D Fighter Wing of the Virginia Air National Guard and Headquarters Air Combat Command. The base is one of the oldest facilities of the Air Force, having been established on 30 December 1916, prior to America's entry to World War I by the Army Air Service, named for aviation pioneer Samuel Pierpont Langley.
- Perform clinical laboratory tests in any one or a combination of areas as described in following sections of the laboratory: Hematology, chemistry, urinalysis, serology, microbiology, immunology, blood bank, and blood donor center.
- Calculate test results and measure prescribed quantities of samples during tests.
- Notice pertinent morphology/staining details of specimens under microscopic examination.
- Perform a wide variety of laboratory tests either manually or using automated instrumentation.
- Evaluate quality control information against measurable criteria in the performance of laboratory tests.
- Perform precise and accurate laboratory testing according to established laboratory procedures.
- Receive written requisitions from health care providers for routine and special laboratory tests.
- Set up and adjust laboratory equipment and apparatus.
- Obtain laboratory specimens directly from patients by venipuncture, instruct patient and staff on proper specimen collection.
- Add reagents or indicator solutions, and subjects specimens to various laboratory operations according to established procedures.
- Prepare slides for microscopic analysis as necessary.
- Observe test reactions, changes of color, or formation of precipitates; studies or subjects treated specimens to automatic analyzing equipment to make qualitative and quantitative analysis.
- Record test results to flat logs and request slips and file reports in the electronic health record.
- Bring to the attention of the section supervisor, pathologist or general laboratory supervisor any unusual or grossly abnormal test result.
- Perform light general cleaning of work areas such as collection of trash, autoclaving of specimens, cleaning of bench tops and light dusting.
- Prepare specimens for transport to MTF laboratory or for other civilian/DOD reference laboratories.
- Prepare biological waste for proper disposal.
- Participate/perform the prescribed QC and CAP proficiency testing (PT) programs.
- Perform and document required equipment maintenance as required.
- Adhere to infection control procedures including the use of personal protective equipment and proper disposal of waste
- Participate in required equipment, in-service training and continuing medical education.
- Ensure safe work environment and employ safe work habits.
- Graduation from a medical laboratory technician training program accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES).
- Certification as a Medical Laboratory Technician by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or American Medical Technologists (AMT), or state licensure as a medical laboratory technician.
KurzSolutions is committed to improving health outcomes by providing well-managed companies with the top healthcare talent in the market.